Countdown!

Race Report #1 - Nicolet Bay 5k May 1, 2010

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

So this was my first race ever!! I finished in 36:16, which is right around what I was expecting!  I had a really great time...now I'm addicted.

I don't normally get nervous for things, but about 5 minutes before the race started, everyone was lining up...and bf was standing there talking to me, and I almost burst into tears because I was so nervous.  Not sure why that was.  Then it started and I was off...and I almost cried again going around the first corner. I felt my breathing start to get shallow, and then I told myself I was just being dumb, it was going to be great.  So I finally relaxed, but man, it was rough.

I had a really great time...but I thought there were some etiquette things that most runners follow.  I read up on this before my race, so I didn't look like a total rookie, but man...I was surprised:

  • Walkers and slower runners lined up wherever.  I thought you were supposed to line up based on what you thought your pace would be...It was tough to weave in and out of the pack.  I lined up mid-pack, because that's where I was expecting to finish.
  • People would be running and then decide to walk (which is fine, I did it myself) but they would just stop in front of you.  I almost ran over countless people because they decided to just stop running directly in front of me.  When I took a minute to walk, I moved over to the side of the road, and I always looked behind me first.
  • Lots of people were wearing the race t-shirt...I thought that was a no-no?
Maybe I'm totally off...any thoughts?

I'll post pictures once I get them off the camera.

3 comments:

Claudia May 4, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Congrats on your First 5k of many more to come!!
I just recently started running in December and ran my 1st 5k in April, I heard that you should NOT wear your race shirt to the race it's bad luck, but it's totally OK to put it on after the race.

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex May 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

Congrats on finishing your first race! People ARE supposed to line up according to pace, and it's kind of irritating and inconsiderate when people don't. And you're right on, people shouldn't just stop right in front of someone if they decide to walk.

As for wearing the race shirt, I never do, but my friends love to wear the event shirt the day of the race. I can see why people wouldn't want to, and why people would, but really, who cares?

Dimity and Sarah May 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

Congrats on getting your feet wet, metaphorically speaking, with a 5K. You've given yourself plenty of time to train for the marathon, and it sounds like you have enthusiasm to spare. Good luck with your training!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Follow me as I run my way to a marathon!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP